THREE STEPS TO A POSITIVE MIND-SET
As you may have probably read in a previous blog post ‘you are what you think’, we talked about the importance of positive thinking. So today, I am to tackle developing positive thinking in ways that are more practical.
A disclaimer: I won’t claim these three steps to be super easy to follow. But if you are committed and consistent with these three steps, you will see magical results soon enough, insha Allah.
“Positive mind-set” is certainly not a one-time action, instead it is a lifestyle. And for any kind of positive changes in life needs commitment and consistency.
First Step: Purify Your Thoughts
What you think and what you feel have a huge impact on your actions and choices in life. There is a saying that ‘your outer world is a reflection of your inner world’. And it couldn’t be more true.
Since your thoughts become words, and your words become actions, it is important to purify your thoughts first.
So, how can you purify your thoughts?
- Increase your repentance. Ask Allah sincerely to forgive you and do it often. Our Beloved Prophet used to do at least 100 times a day.
- Moist your tongue with Allah’s remembrance. Increase your adhkar and send salawath on our beloved Prophet (SAW)
- Know that what ever happens to a mu’min is good for him/her. “Amazing is the affair of the believer, verily all of his affair is good and this is not for no one except the believer. If something of good/happiness befalls him he is grateful and that is good for him. If something of harm befalls him he is patient and that is good for him” (Saheeh Muslim)
- Think good about others. “If you come to know that a brother has harmed you with either a word or a deed, you should make an excuse for him; if you did not find one, you should say, ‘There may be an excuse that I do not know of.’” – Ibn Seereen
Second Step: Always Speak Good and Positive Words
Like anything in life, the more often you do something the easier it gets. So, the more you work on the first step, the easier it will become for you to use good and positive words, insha Allah.
Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was a true optimist. He (SAW) was always encouraged the use of positive and inspiring words. In a beautiful hadith, he (SAW) said;
“There is no ‘adwa (transmission of infectious disease without the permission of Allah) and no tiyarah (superstitious belief in bad omens), but I like optimism.” They (sahaba) said, “What is optimism?” He said, “A good word.” (Sahih Bukhari & Muslim)
So next time when you converse with someone, focus on using positive and encouraging words. And the words you choose to say have an impact on your state of mind. Try one of these replies, when someone asks you how you are doing:
- “Alhamdulillah, I’m ok”
- “Alhamaduillah, I’m great”
The word “great” has greater effect on your mind. Thus, you’ll feel better using this word vs. just ‘ok’.
Always remember to use positive and encouraging words. By repeating such words in all areas of your life, you will be able to consciously elbow out any negative and discouraging words.
Third Step: Act Like a Positive Person
Usually, you can’t really fake an action. We all know the difference between a genuine smile and fake one. So, when you work on the first two steps, the third step will automatically come as a direct result of your positive thoughts and words.
So, next time whenever you feel positive, use the moment to do something positive. Smile, give hope or speak a beautiful word. Do something to uplift someone else’s life through a positive action. This will have an incredible effect on your positive thinking, insha Allah.
Know, that you are a collection of your thoughts, words and actions. That’s what really defines you. So next time when you have a bad thought be careful not to let it get to you.
SUBSCRIBE FOR LIFE TOOLS
Receive weekly tools to live a fulfilling life.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.